Wednesday 29 October 2008

Yet more training.

Hi Everyone,

The training continues, two hours of dragging a tyre around the streets of Harrogate most days gets boring. So a big thanks to those who stop me for a chat, such as the lady by the traffic lights at Oakland Drive/Hookstone Road and the 'not so young' lady who gave me the thumbs up and wished me good luck.
All the hard physical work seems to be paying off, I'm not quite so knackered when I un-clip from the skis. This 'reward' will be short lived, as I will be adding a loaded ruck sack to my back next week. Both the weight in the sack and the drag of the tyre are more than we will have to carry and put in Antarctica, (I hope!).

Mount Vinson was only discovered in 1957 by American navy pilots. It took a further nine years before it was first summitted by members of the American Alpine Club. Named after a Congressman, Carl Vinson, who lobbied the US government to support Antarctic exploration. At 4,897 m this mountain is not particularly high in comparison to the giants in Tibet, but it is probably one of the most inaccessible and inhospitable. Denali in Alaska has the reputation of being the coldest mountain on Earth, however Vinson can be bitterly cold, adding to the the sense of adventure.

Some of you would have heard me on Stray FM this morning chatting about the trip and Henshaw's, so if you do see me out and about, do give Chris Bell a call or text for a dedication. 01423 522972.

all best

Tim

No comments: